Sponsor Your Family

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child, adopted child, parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident in Canada. The definitions of spouse, common-law partner and conjugal partner include opposite sex and same sex relationship.

Who can be a sponsor

According Canada’s immigration law, Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, a sponsor, for the purpose of sponsoring a foreign national who makes an application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class or an application to remain in Canada as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who:

(a) is at least 18 years of age;

(b) resides in Canada; and

(c) has filed a sponsorship application in respect of a member of the family class.

 A Canadian citizens who do not reside in Canada may sponsor his/her spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child who has no dependent children if he/she will reside in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

Who can be sponsored

(a) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;

(b) a dependent child of the sponsor;

(c) the sponsor's mother or father;

(d) the mother or father of the sponsor's mother or father;

(e) a person whose parents are deceased, who is under 18 years of age, who is not a spouse or common-law partner and who is

  • a child of the sponsor's mother or father,

  • a child of a child of the sponsor's mother or father, or

  • a child of the sponsor's child;

(f) a person under 18 years of age whom the sponsor intends to adopt in Canada

(g) a relative of the sponsor, regardless of age, if the sponsor does not have a spouse, a common-law partner, a conjugal partner, a child, a mother/ father, who is a Canadian citizen, Indian or permanent resident.

How to apply

There are two different processes for sponsoring your family. One process is used for sponsoring your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner and/or dependent children. Another process is used to sponsor other eligible relatives.

 Call or email Canwin for more details.